Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders in Philanthropy (AAPIP) is a national membership organization dedicated to expanding and mobilizing philanthropic and community resources for underserved AAPI communities to build a more just and equitable society. Core members include staff and trustees of foundations and other grantmaking entities as well as individual donors and philanthropy-serving professionals. In addition, AAPIP supports 11 regional chapters around the country in Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Minnesota, New York, Philadelphia, Rocky Mountain, San Francisco, Seattle, Silicon Valley and Washington DC. These chapters are centers for place-based advocacy, information sharing, leadership development and network building around AAPI issues and philanthropy. AAPIP’s programs include a range of convening, research and advocacy, community philanthropy/Giving Circles and other incubation projects. These programs are designed to engage AAPI communities and philanthropy to address unmet needs, serve as a resource for and about AAPI communities, support informed, grassroots giving within and to AAPI communities and explore new ideas and approaches for social justice philanthropy.
This Research and Communications (RC) internship is designed to immerse the RC intern in the nonprofit sector, more specifically, in philanthropy, within an organization that is strongly committed to equity and social justice. AAPIP will be conducting a number of research projects of various sizes and scopes while also offering opportunities to maximize a learning environment. Examples of potential projects include (but are not limited to):
- Researching examples of cross-racial solidarity (between AANHPI communities and communities of color) in philanthropic and nonprofit sectors
- Tracking various metrics, including philanthropic funding, impacting AANHPI communities
- Tracking press and news mentions citing AAPIP’s work
- Assisting with content development for monthly newsletters, website, and social media
- Assisting with member outreach and education, including collecting stories from current and former members or others from the AAPIP network and creating membership education materials or products (like a short video).
With a basic understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods and creativity and a keen eye for detail, the RC intern will support AAPIP’s research initiatives as well as digital communications efforts (website, e-newsletter, and social media). The RC intern will work closely with AAPIP’s core Program team and receive support and supervision from AAPIP’s Program Manager.
|# of weeks||Required Dates||Start Time||End Time||Public Transportation||Housing||Format|
At this time, we are offering a remote internship, and the intern would be responsible for securing their own housing.
The ideal candidate will be/have:
- No previous nonprofit experience is required, but interested candidates must exhibit an interest in and commitment to racial and gender equity issues from an AAPI perspective
- Be committed in their work and work ethic, following projects to completion in a timely manner
- Be eager to learn about the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors, and can work flexibly
- Research Skills; Knack for synthesizing data-rich written reports and extracting key information, recording desired information using a data management tool like MS Excel; Basic understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods and analyses; Familiarity with creating graphs, charts, and tables in MS PowerPoint; Interest in analyzing philanthropic data and connecting the dots between macro- and micro-level social change
- Writing and Communication; Excellent verbal and written communication skills for synthesizing research findings at program meetings and potentially in a preliminary report
- Tech savvy; high fluency in navigating the digital landscape, using creative search keywords to discover additional resources
- Proficiency in MS Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Basic proficiency in GSuite (Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive)
- Familiarity with Slack, Zoom, Dropbox