The Bermuda Institute of Ocean Sciences (BIOS) is a U.S. private not-for-profit 501(c)(3) research and educational institute, incorporated in the State of New York and physically located in Bermuda. Established in 1903, we have a long history of conducting pioneering research and providing unique experiential education activities in the fields of marine science for U.S. and international university students. BIOS's mission is to seek and share fundamental knowledge of the oceans through state-of-the-art scientific research, world-class field expeditions and comprehensive educational experiences.
St. George, Bermuda
NOTE: As of 12/3/21, international travel remains subject to limitations. Refer to the University’s Pandemic Travel Guidelines for the latest update. Students applying to this internship should be aware it could potentially be subject to cancellation, as there is no remote option. Contact PICS Program Coordinator, Rose Holton with any questions.
1. To provide training in outdoor science education
2. To support experience working with students aged 12-18 from a variety of socioeconomic backgrounds
3. To provide opportunities for student evaluation and the development of digital media content for BIOS’s Ocean Academy.
BIOS seeks intern applicants with a strong work ethic and willingness to work outside of working hours to support BIOS’s experiential educational initiatives. The intern will be supporting the facilitation of a variety of programming with changing weather conditions and programmatic activities based on age group and curricular requirements. Some of these programs will require in water support on snorkel and experience and confidence working on or in open water is required. Student must have a strong safety mindset and adaptability to work with multiple age groups.
# of weeks
|10||June 19 - August 27, 2022||8:30am||5:00pm||Yes||No||In-person|
No additional info available at this time.
The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- Strong desire to enter the field of science education or communications
- Strong work ethic
- Experience working with youth between the ages of 8 and 18
- Strong and confident swimmer with open water experience
- CPR/First Aid certified
- Experience facilitating and encouraging participation in programmatic activities
- Experience utilizing behavior management techniques with young students
- Competence in preparation and leadership of age-appropriate activities
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
Writing Sample Required
- CPR/First Aid certified