Bottom Line is dedicated to helping first-generation students from low-income backgrounds get into college, graduate from college, and go far in life! Our vision is to dramatically transform urban communities by producing thousands of new career-ready college graduates. As one of the first college support organizations to focus on college completion, Bottom Line now produces best-in-class college graduation rates that eliminate the significant gap between first generation students from low-income backgrounds and their wealthier peers. We operate regional programs in Massachusetts, where we were founded in 1997, New York City, and Chicago that collectively serve over 7,000 students.
Bottom Line focuses on students who have the desire and potential to earn a degree, but lack the support structures necessary to navigate the college application process, make a responsible school choice, succeed in college, and prepare for a meaningful career. Over the last 20 years, Bottom Line has developed a proven and proactive long-term, high-touch, high impact model. Full-time, trained and specialized advisors leverage our DEAL model which addresses the four key areas that are most likely to lead to college success: Degree, Employability, Affordability, and Life. Our relationship and results focused approach helps our students change their lives by gaining economic mobility through college selection, graduation, and career-readiness. At Bottom Line, we also have a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We aim to attract qualified candidates who hold these same values, and help us further recognize and celebrate the diversity among us.
When you join Bottom Line, you will find a rewarding, fast-paced, results-oriented environment. We build strong relationships with our students and with each other. We take our work seriously, and we know that a focus on data and metrics is integral to our continued success. Experts in our field, we are driven by our mission and motivated by the impact we're achieving.
Serving as a member of the Access and student recruitment team, this internship position will support the recruitment and intake of approximately 800 students in the greater Boston area into Bottom Line's Access and Success Programs. The intern in this position will gain exposure to outreach, student recruitment, programming, data analysis and development work and will also participate in staff meetings and other professional development opportunities.
- Primary Responsibilities:
- Present to students and community members about Bottom Line's Programs, answer questions, and encourage students to apply
- Use phone, email, text, mail, and social media to reach out to prospective students
- Staff Bottom Line at outreach and recruitment events and canvass the community to represent
- Bottom Line Create and complete special projects (i.e., event planning and implementation, marketing, social media)
- Support a caseload of students through the intake process, including managing and analyzing recruitment related data
- Discuss the value of a degree and a college education as well as specifics about the college application, financial aid, and decision making processes with students
- Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without advanced notice
|# of weeks||Required Dates||Start Time||End Time||Public Transportation||Housing||Format|
|10||June 6 - Aug 12, 2022||10:00am||6:00pm||Yes||No||Hybrid|
Typically students are able to find summer housing sublets in the area, but there are also several colleges that provide summer housing for interns (Northeastern University , Boston University, MassArt) which are all short subway rides from the Bottom Line office.
The ideal candidate have:
- Experience with community outreach, especially with urban high school students
- Experience delivering presentations Demonstrated commitment to Bottom Line’s mission and education equity
- Experience working with diverse teams, and commitment to inclusiveness
- Experience managing data and working with Microsoft Excel
- Fluency in language other than English a plus, especially Spanish, Vietnamese, Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Cantonese or Mandarin Chinese
Additional or preferred qualifications:
- Strong candidates will have excellent communication
- Presentation skills, be detail-oriented, and be able to manage several tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- All candidates will embrace and demonstrate Bottom Line’s core values of relationships, persistence, results, efficiency, responsibility, and excellence
Writing Sample Required?
- Background Check