DREAM provides youth with opportunities to play, learn, and grow. Our mission is to level the field by empowering all children to recognize their potential and realize their dreams.
In 1991, DREAM, then Harlem RBI, was founded when a group of volunteers transformed an abandoned, garbage-strewn lot into two baseball diamonds for the youth in East Harlem. Over time, we began to address the greater needs of the community, like low literacy and high school graduation rates, through summer and after-school enrichment. It soon became clear that out-of-school time was simply not enough. In order to have a lasting, long-term impact on kids and the community, we needed more time with our students, especially during the school day. So in 2008, we opened up DREAM Charter School to more deeply serve the community of East Harlem.
Since then, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 boys and girls in East Harlem and the South Bronx with a unique whole child, extended day and year program model that uses team-based methods to provide a comprehensive, enriching experience for young people.
Having a PICS intern will be critical to support DREAM's work and in particular, our award winning summer REAL Kids program that serves over 1,200 elementary school youth with a six week, full day summer program that sees kids in classrooms in the mornings working on their literacy and math skills and on the ballfields each afternoon.
New York, NY
The Major Gifts intern will have a diverse set of responsibilities and will work closely with the entire Advancement Team and across other departments within the organization.
They will lead stewardship for one of our cornerstone fundraising campaigns, called Team Sponsorship. For the right candidate, this is an excellent opportunity to gain experience on a major gifts team and learn about donor stewardship and corporate partnerships.
- Execute Team Sponsorship campaign stewardship by becoming intimately familiar with our summer REAL Kids program;
- Work closely with other interns to visit multiple teams per week throughout the summer;
- Assist with Corporate Partnership stewardship including lead sponsor planning and execution for the end of summer celebration event, Championship Day;
- Support Salesforce database management and reporting;
- Assist with donor prospect research;
- Assist with corporate volunteer engagements throughout the summer including possible softball and wiffle ball tournaments;
- Assist with supporting the execution of events and stewardship for the DREAM Ambassadors, DREAM's next generation board;
- Support career partnerships work in collaboration with the Legends team, which provides pathways for internships and jobs for DREAM High Schoolers and college age youth;
- Other duties as assigned.
|# of weeks||Required Dates||Start Time||End Time||Public Transportation||Housing||Format|
|10||5/31 - 8/12 2022||10:00am||5:00pm||Yes||No||Virtual/Remote|
Our headquarters is located in East Harlem on 104th street and 2nd Avenue. Living in an apartment on the east side of the city off of the 4,5,6 train line or the Q train allow for the easiest commute to the offices.
- Desire to work in collaborative environments across multiple teams and functions;
- Reliable self starter willing to take on any task regardless of size and scope;
- Proficient in Powerpoint and Excel and/or Google Sheets and comfortable with Canva
- Previous Salesforce experience a plus;
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff and with high net worth external donors in a written, visual and verbal format;
- Highly organized with project management skills;
- Strong execution with a focus on follow-up and follow through;
- Works well with quick deadlines;
- Interest in working in an organization that focuses on social impact;
- Highly motivated and the ability to take initiative and use creative problem solving skills;
Writing Sample Required
- Background Check
- Vaccinations (DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.)
- If we are permitted to host in-person fundraising events and tours, these may start earlier than 10am or run later than 5pm. The intern would be asked to work if needed (not required).