PICS Organization Name
San Francisco, California
Lisa Sheridan '19
At Education Outside, we're committed to advancing science in public schools, outdoors. We transform school gardens into lush, living laboratories where learning comes naturally. Our innovative program brings science and nature directly into the hands of more than
20,000 schoolchildren each year.
Our organization has sponsored a Princeton intern consecutively for the past few years, who have been an essential part of the team during the summer. The are able to support with projects that staff would otherwise not be able to complete, while providing high quality work.
Our summer internship is created as an additional support to our Development and Program teams. However, day-to-day responsibilities are guided by the interests expressed by the PICS intern, with weekly check-ins conducted by intern supervisor.
- An interest or proven support for environmental stewardship or environmental education
- Alignment with our organization's mission and values
- Highly organized and ability to balance multiple deadlines
- Proven experience collaborating across multiple departments and leadership
- Positive attitude who takes initiative to independently establish responsibilities and desired projects
- Experience using Microsoft suite
- Experience or interest in data management and Salesforce
- Comfortable with cold-calling potential in-kind donors
Expected Start Time
Expected End Time
Meets Certificate Requirement
Housing in San Francisco is very competitive, yet possible to find on a stipend. Our current AmeriCorps members receive a modest stipend as teachers and have found housing options through previous members and online resources. Our previous PICS interns have stayed in housing suggested by our AmeriCorps members, who are the best resources we provide to securing housing for the summer.
There is no requirement to do work outside of the designated work hours, unless agreed upon by the intern and supervisor.
There is a requirement for all staff, interns, and volunteers to do a background check, due to the work we do with students and the SF school district. Proof of negative TB test within the past 4 years also required.
I connected very strongly with the mission of the organization - connecting children to nature is something I am very passionate about. My goals to focus my attention on the most marginalized and disadvantaged members of society (who are always the most affected by issues such as climate change) as I continue to advocate for protection of the environment.
—Lisa Sheridan '19