Facing History and Ourselves uses lessons of history to challenge teachers and their students to stand up to bigotry and hate.
Headquartered in Brookline MA, we have offices in New York, Chicago, Oakland, Los Angeles, Memphis, Cleveland, Toronto and London.
Internships at Facing History and Ourselves are typically a mixture of core projects and administrative support. Interns are paired with direct supervisors and the intern is assigned projects based on the need of Facing History and the individual supervisor, and the Intern’s interests. Across the board, learning opportunities are provided that expose participants to Facing History content and teaching approach. Please explore our website to learn more about us.
Past projects have included:
- Researching articles (scholarly, opinion pieces, etc.) around equity in education and labeling/identifying themes that we would then add to a sort of "scholarship library" for FH staff.
- Updating our Intranet
- Current Research in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Research the process for becoming an approved provider of PD for teachers and school leaders in all 50 states
- Seminar and Webinar management and support
- Updating data on schools and educators
- Compiling evaluations and extracting key quotes
The summer internship is typically through our Headquarters office in Brookline, MA, but may be through one of our regional offices. It typically runs for 8-9 weeks starting in early June through mid-August. We provide orientation, regular check-ins, an opportunity to connect with other Interns, participation in staff meetings and social events, exposure to our core work, access to our resources, networking sessions with staff, and dinner with our President and CEO (if feasible). At the end of the summer we have a small gathering to present on the projects completed over the summer.
We expect the intern to follow a consistent schedule, work 2-5 days per week between 9am and 5pm, work diligently, and ask questions and request new projects when appropriate. Professional attire and business etiquette are expected. You will be asked to read and abide by our Sexual Harassment and Youth Protection Policies as well as our Data Security Policy.
|# of weeks||Required Dates||Start Time||End Time||Public Transportation||Housing||Format|
This may be a virtual internship. If in person, there is a college nearby that has summer housing.
- Comfort with G suite and Microsoft products.
- Able to work remotely if needed.
Writing Sample Required