PICS Organization Name
The Humane Society of the United States
Mallory Williamson '21
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) is the nation's most effective animal protection organization. We and our affiliates provide hands-on care and services to more than 100,000 animals each year, and we professionalize the field through education and training for local organizations. We are the leading animal advocacy organization, seeking a humane world for people and animals alike. We are driving transformational change in the U.S. and around the world by combating large-scale cruelties such as puppy mills, animal fighting, factory farming, seal slaughter, horse cruelty, captive hunts and the wildlife trade.
MISSION STATEMENT: Celebrating Animals, Confronting Cruelty
The Public Relations (PR) department serves as a resource for journalists, disseminating news on a broad range of animal issues and arranging media interviews with subject experts at The HSUS. PR interns gain real-world experience while helping support the work of the PR department.
Intern will gain experience writing press releases and preparing other written documents for the media, using Vocus/Cision software to target reporters for pitches, making calls to reporters to garner interest in HSUS stories and working on long-term media campaigns with members of our diverse Public Relations team. The intern will be invited to join daily strategic department meetings, and will be brought in to help with larger, more complex projects that will foster teamwork and encourage creative thinking.
- Track media coverage
- Create media distribution lists
- Help draft and distribute media advisories, news releases, op-eds, letters to the editor and other press materials
- Help organize media events such as press conferences
- Spanish-speaking interns may be asked to help bilingual staff translate press releases for Hispanic media
- Learn media relations software and techniques
- Foster an understanding of animal protection issues
- Learn about The HSUS’s major campaigns, programs and mission
- Have a chance to meet with every member of the Public Relations team to learn about each aspect of the department
- Strong communication and critical thinking skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word
- Desire to learn about media relations
- Able to work well independently and use good judgment
- Previous volunteer or internship experience with a non-profit organization, animal protection/advocacy organization or animal shelter
- Spanish proficiency
- Interest in Journalism or Public Relations
**Writing sample required
Expected Start Time
10 am (flexible)
Expected End Time
5 pm (flexible)
No earlier than May 30 - no later than August 23
Meets Certificate Requirement
We can provide a housing guide with information about the area and guidance on finding housing. We also have a Facebook group to connect interns to each other for the purpose of finding housing.
Interns must pass a criminal background check and sign paperwork including a waiver and release of liability.
**Writing sample required
I connected very deeply with the mission of my organization. I do believe that as a result of my internship I'm fully committed to someday becoming vegan. I've learned that I have the capacity to put my longstanding compassion for animals toward driving concrete change for them in this country. -- Mallory Williamson '21