Founded in 1981, Isles, Inc. is a community development and environmental organization based in Trenton, New Jersey. With a mission to foster self-reliant families and healthy, sustainable communities, we design and develop effective services that support this mission and share what we learn with others who can make a difference.
We REVITALIZE communities by working alongside local residents to plan their neighborhoods’ future and to develop energy efficient, affordable and healthy homes, parks, gardens, shared facilities, and more.
We TRAIN AND EDUCATE adults and youth through an alternative high school, green job training center and family support services.
We BUILD WEALTH through innovative financial services and loans that help restore credit and increase savings.
We PROMOTE HEALTHY LIVING by tackling environmental hazards, fostering energy efficiency, improving open space, and expanding access to locally grown food.
In 2006, Isles had a familiar challenge that faces dynamic social impact organizations: we had outgrown our office and training facilities. We explored our options, then decided to take a non-familiar route. Instead of simply finding a larger place, we asked, “What if we could acquire and restore a large, vacant, threatened historic factory in a challenged community, invite similar-minded groups to co-locate with us, and create shared green technology, conference and flexible office and training space, kitchens and idea incubators?” Could we strengthen our impact – and the outcomes of other important organizations – by creating a Social Profit Center?
Isles officially opened the Social Profit Center at Mill One in 2021 with a mission to "Do Good. Better." Since the opening, we have welcomed 22 nonprofits, social impact businesses, and artists to our community. The PICS Intern will help us realize our mission by developing systems to encourage and support collaboration and resource sharing among Social Profit Center member organizations.
Under the supervision of the Social Profit Center Director, the Program Development Intern will develop systems, programs, services, and policies in support of the mission of the Social Profit Center, and will provide support to the Social Profit Center's administrative and marketing functions. Specific duties will be discussed during interviews but may include the following:
- Creating community building and resource sharing programming for the social Profit Center and the Community.
- Developing vibrant and sustainable communication systems among member tenants.
- Planning social events and learning events for Social Profit Center members and tenants.
- Assisting with the creation of Social Profit Center marketing materials and efforts.
- Developing and documenting operational, administrative and building maintenance procedures and systems.
- Interacting with key stakeholders including member tenants, community partners, donors, board and committee members and staff
Some duties can be accomplished in the office, while others will require interaction with Social Profit Center tenants, community members, or Isles staff.
|# of weeks||Required Dates||Start Time||End Time||Public Transportation||Housing||Format|
TCNJ students often offer their apartments for sublet for the summer. Some Isles staff may have room for an additional roommate for the summer. Catholic Charities offers housing to adults who work in the non-profit world.
While there are no required skills or experiences for this internship, we strongly encourage candidates with prior experience in program development and events planning to apply. At Isles, we value intentionality, self-direction, cultural competency, teamwork, and adaptability.
Preferred skills include:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational follow-through skills and attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Ability to take ownership and accountability
- Ability to take initiative
- Ease with reaching out to others in person or by phone
- Ability to work independently as well as collaborate as part of a team
- Ability to manage time and juggle multiple tasks
Writing Sample Required?
Any sample of recent original writing
- Background Check
We will likely have a hybrid work environment which means that 2 days a week will be required to be physically in the office; the other days can either be in the office or from a remote environment.