PICS Organization Name
San Francisco, California
Sydney Goldman '20, Traci Mathieu '20, Elizabeth Haile '19
NatureBridge connects young people to the science and wonder of the natural world, igniting self-discovery and inspiring stewardship of the planet.
Environmental science in nature’s classroom.
NatureBridge provides hands-on environmental science programs for children and teens. Our multi-day programs take place outdoors in the magnificence of nature’s classroom, where students are immersed in the wonder and science of our national parks in Yosemite, Golden Gate, Olympic, Santa Monica Mountains, Channel Islands, and Prince William Forest. Founded as Yosemite Institute in 1971, today NatureBridge welcomes more than 700 schools and 30,000 students and teachers each year to our six campuses. After more than 40 years of teaching and inspiring students, NatureBridge has provided life-changing experiences for more than 1 million participants and is a national leader in the field of environmental education. Providing access for all students NatureBridge environmental science programs are inclusive. Access for all to transformational science experiences and diversity of participants and educators are core organizational values. We strive to make our programs available to
students from all communities and work intentionally to bring students from underserved
communities to our programs and to our national parks. More than 50% of our participating
schools receive scholarship support, and more than 30% of our students are from underrepresented communities.
The NatureBridge business model is fueled by a powerful combination of earned and contributed revenue. More than 70% of our revenue comes from the tuition associated with our environmental science programs, and the remaining 30% comes from donations. NatureBridge is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. We rely on generous donations to support our mission, to support scholarships, and to support new curricula development and program extensions into
Making an impact
Our staff of environmental science educators is at the core of our organization. Working with small groups of elementary, middle, and high school students, our educators bring science to life in national parks through engaging environmental science lessons: walks, hikes, scrambles,
explorations, and overnight backcountry expeditions to the best spots in each park. Our
educators bring diverse backgrounds to NatureBridge, including advanced degrees in
science and education, experience with scientific research, classroom teaching, wilderness
expeditionary leadership, outdoor education, and a wide range of other professions.
Our educators’ strong skills in environmental science and outdoor education, combined with
the magnificent settings of our national park campuses, have strong impacts on the students
The intern will have an opportunity to work with employees of all levels of the organization as a team member of the Information Technology Department. There will be projects that will be strictly in the IT department such as inventory and infrastructure administration. As the IT Department interfaces with all other departments in the organization there will be projects that involve working with Fundraising, Operations and Programs. NatureBridge uses Salesforce.com for our Operations Database and will give opptunities to work with our developers as they work on enhancements and online registration. During the summer of 2018 we anticipate work to begin on moving our donor database into Salesforce.
The intern will spend two weeks in the field during the summer. One will be at our Golden Gate Campus in the Marin Headlands. The second will be at our location in Yosemite National Park.
A desire to learn about non profit IT, operations and fundraising/development.
An interest in environmental science education.
Expected Start Time
Expected End Time
No earlier than May 30 - no later than August 23
Meets Certificate Requirement
The rental market is very expensive in San Francisco. Past interns have found rooms on craigslist or stayed with family or other students in the area. As long as you are near a BART station you can easily get to the office.
We run a fingerprint based Live Scan background check. This is required since we work with children and the intern will spend time in the field with students.
My best work experience this summer was working in the field with educators at Yosemite National Park and the Golden Gate Recreational Center. I worked with youth groups and helped facilitate various activities for the environmental science programs.
—Traci Mathieu '20
As a result of my PICS internship and service experience, I am convinced of my commitment to working in the nonprofit world and I am compelled to continue working with environmental preservation efforts. — Sydney Goldman '20