PICS Organization Name
New York Foundation for the Arts
New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA) provides artists, emerging arts organizations, arts administrators, and students with critical support, professional development tools, and resources for defining and achieving career success.
WHAT WE DO
NYFA was established in 1971 to serve individual artists throughout New York State. Since then, we have extended our programs and services throughout the United States and internationally and expanded our scope to serve additional members of the arts community.
- Awards and grants for individual artists in New York City, New York State, and nationally (including U.S. Territories)
- Access to increased funding opportunities for artists in all disciplines through our Fiscal Sponsorship program
- In-person and online professional development workshops, panels, consultations, and intensives for artists and arts administrators
- Mentorship programs and tailored resources for immigrant artists
- Job, opportunity, and space listings through NYFA Classifieds, the premier opportunities board for creative industries
- Targeted support and ongoing award and service listings through the NYFA Source Hotline and NYFA Source database
- Work sample reviews for artists and students under the guidance of expert consultants and staff
The NYFA 2021 Internship will focus on researching and developing marketing and communication ideas to support NYFA Grants, NYFA Learning and NYFA Communications.
Over a 10 week period the Intern will dedicate 3 or 4 week periods with each department helping them on specific marketing and research projects outlined below.
-NYFA Grants - Manages our awards and grant programs serving multiple disciplines and work sample review.
The Intern will focus on online art sales for the Grants team.
NYFA currently has an Artspace page where we sell artwork by artists within our network. The intern will assist in researching the online art sales market and creating a series of blog posts to promote sales on NYFA’s Artspace page.
The Intern will work on the following projects:
- Research the online arts sales market and compile a list of competitors
- Compile a list of ideas that NYFA could use to promote and market its online arts sales
- Develop 2 - 3 blog posts around NYFA’s Artspace page. Blog posts could focus on genres of art; specific artists; ideas about creating; artists in different locations around NY State
- Look at NYFA current artist pool and suggest new artists to showcase
-NYFA Learning - professional development programs, workshops, events, and consultations for artists, creatives, and arts administrators. Encompasses the Immigrant Artist Program which offers support to immigrant artists and communities.
Working with the Learning team, the intern will develop a marketing packet that highlights the different professional development services offered by the NYFA and the department and research ways to promote and engage new partners.
The Intern will work on the following project:
- Develop and design a one-page flyer for each program, a main overview that highlights how organizations and institutions can provide our services to their constituents
- Research areas where the Learning programs could potentially be marketed and suggest strategies for implementing this
-Communications - Manages our external relationships with audiences, from website to social media as well as NYFA Classifieds that includes a job board, opportunities and spaces listings. Also NYFA Source and hotline.
Work with the Communications team members to develop creative marketing strategies aimed at increasing awareness of NYFA Classifieds in new audiences, and growth of blog content coverage.
The Intern will work on the following project:
- Work with the Team to identity areas where NYFA could grow its content and develop blog posts. These could be in the form of interviews with artists, industry professionals, roundups of past NYFA events or online resources.
- Analyze available Classifieds data (back-end reporting and Google Analytics) to determine areas where our board is lacking relevant coverage (examples might include geographic gaps, age ranges we are not reaching, artistic disciplines that should be listing more jobs or opps with us, etc.).
- Based on research and analysis above, as well as the interests/experiences of the intern, compile strategies for marketing the Classifieds boards to wider audiences. Examples of this could be social media strategies, school fairs, targeted digital ad placements, etc.
|Weekly Stipend||# of Weeks||Required Dates||Start Time||End Time||Housing Provided?||Public Transportation?||Certificate Requirement?||Can be Remote?|
|$500||10||None||10:00 am||4:00 pm||No||Yes||No||Unsure|
NYFA is looking for someone who:
- Is a self starter with a positive attitude
- Has an interest in marketing and developing new strategies around communication
- Has an interest in the arts and may have spent time volunteering or working in an arts institution
- Enjoys writing, particularly for an online audience
- Has an interest in working across departments to better understand the way a non-profit arts institution works.
- Experience with Excel, Word, Google Docs/forms
- Detailed orientated and ability to multitask
Writing sample required?
We have evening events on occasion and it may be we will be back to some in-person programming next year. Interns are asked to support if their schedule allows as part of our training and a way to get to know our audience, our programs and goals.