PICS Organization Name
New York, New York
Jiwon You '20, Rebecca Sichel '17
Smile Train is a 501(c)(3) organization based in New York City with the mission of providing free corrective surgery for children with cleft lip and palate in more than 85 developing countries. Founded in 1999, Smile Train focuses on providing free cleft-related training for doctors and medical professionals. We have assisted more than 1,000,000 children to date. Check out our website at smiletrain.org to learn more.
Our NY headquarter comprises about 50 staff focused on marketing, fundraising, grant administration, operations, and program quality and assurance. We have additional staff all over the world who administer our programmatic relationships and help to achieve our goals relating to providing free safe and quality care for children with cleft.
The Programs team at Smile Train oversees Smile Train’s medical programs and innovative projects in education, training and comprehensive care. There will be opportunities for an intern to become involved in various projects that could, for example, include:
- Smile Train’s virtual speech therapy app
- Curriculum management and evaluation of Smile Train’s Nursing and Anesthesia training programs
- Curriculum management and evaluation for Smile Train’s comprehensive care training and treatment programs
- Supporting Smile Train’s Quality Assurance processes
- Developing tools to assess the impact of Smile Train’s global programs
- Research and analysis in support of Smile Train’s work to scale impactful programs
- Assistance with the development of scholarly articles and presentations
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Fluency in other languages (particularly Spanish, French or Mandarin) a plus
- Prior experiences or familiarity with the medical field, global health or global development
- Experience and proficiency in statistical analysis
Expected Start Time
Expected End Time
No earlier than May 30 - no later than August 23
Meets Certificate Requirement
Yes, Global Health Policy
NYC based universities often offer housing for students interning in the city in the summer. The office is also very easily accessed via most NY commuter services.
It was open, exciting, meaningful work. The people were fun, interesting, welcoming and helpful on so many levels. I learned a lot, was in the city and really understood the workings of a non profit and that has given me direction in what I want to do in the future.
—Rebecca Sichel ‘17
I have been so moved by the warmth and dedication of the people who work here, especially the supervisors I have worked with more closely. They are so busy and have such packed schedules, and yet, they manage to make themselves very available to me whenever I have any questions or require guidance. —Jiwon You '20