Since 1895, Union Settlement has provided East Harlem residents with the vital education, wellness and community-building programs and services they need to thrive.
We serve 10,000 residents each year at over a dozen East Harlem locations through a variety of programs, including Early Childhood Education, Youth Programs, College Readiness, Adult Education, Work Readiness. Senior Programs, Mental Health Counseling and Small Business Development.
New York, NY
Union Settlement’s Youth Services Department is seeking a Youth Services Operations Intern. Youth Services Operations Intern will contribute to the success of the Youth Services Department and programs operating in our Washington Houses Community Center by leading and demonstrating outstanding operational efficiencies. The Operations Intern will assist with the office’s day-to-day operations, ensuring efficient and effective processes, and coordinating all issues affecting the office’s daily operations. The Operations Intern will work under the direction of the Director of Youth Services to ensure the needs of the office, Youth Service Department, and our employees are met on time.
The intern will have the opportunity to work with youth of all ages to perfect their project management skills to support a robust youth program for disadvantaged youth.
Internship #1 Description - Fundraising Intern:
Tasks for the intern working in our Fundraising Department will include:
- Prospect research
- Organize Development files on the server
- Assist with organization of Salesforce
- Create a master list of community partners (linkages)
- Assistant with volunteer management
- Assist with financial report reconciliation
- Create & generate a variety of reports
- Organize and create file for boilerplate proposal language & statistics by program area
- Develop & post content to social media
- Update website as needed
- Attend Union Settlement events and write articles for the summer newsletter
The intern will gain an understanding of communications and fundraising skills for a large non-profit organization. Tasks will include seeking funding, communicating with funders, and communicating the effectiveness of impact to engage donors.
Internship #2 Description - Outreach Intern:
The intern will work in our Outreach Department to provide support in the following areas:
- General Store set up and in-person support
- Vaccine Outreach - drafting flyers that will help with outreach and social media
- Occurrence Report - trending report of occurrences and transitioning paper documents into google folder
- Outreach events: Father's Day, Ranked Choice Voting, Senior Summer Camp
- Outreach engagement: Tabling and engaging community at external events
- Preparation of Fall Events - work on flyers and logistics
- Support with tracking of Facilities inventory weekly report
- Site Safety Coordination of reports
The intern will gain skills in project management, community organizing, and interacting with a variety of people to provide low- and moderate-income residents with assistance.
|# of weeks||Required Dates||Start Time||End Time||Public Transit||Housing||Format|
New York City is full of short-term rental options and interns can also commute easily from the surrounding area. Union Settlement will recommend housing options to interns if requested.
Intern candidates will have:
- Strong verbal, written, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks effectively.
- The ability to perform at a high level.
- Proficient Computer and Social Media skills.
- Hardworking individual, team player, and great personality.
- Bi-lingual speakers a plus, Spanish, Mandarin, and Cantonese.
Writing Sample Required
- Background check
- Vaccinations (including Covid-19)